Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Eastern European Rye...Oh My!

I discovered rye bread my freshman year in college at University of San Diego.  I went to the deli on campus and ordered a pastrami, havarti, extra mustard on rye.  The only choices for bread back then where wheat, white or rye, but the rest of the semester, I ordered everything on rye.  With all the artisan bakeries popping up everywhere, really good rye bread is everywhere.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I was so excited to try making it myself.  The recipe and technique is clearly explained in Baking with Julia.   I recommend reading the recipe and instructions at least once before starting this project and make sure to save if for a day that is open.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Cover the dough with your favorite towel from Dorie Greenspan!!!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I started my dough early in the moring, went to breakfast with a friend, came home checked on the dough, ran errands, checked on the dough and finished up while watching the Seahawks game.  I missed part of the game because I had to figure out how I was going to suspend the dough for the last rise.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
The bread was done after the Seahawks win over the Panthers...Yay!!!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I let the bread cool, as instructed, as much as I wanted to try it.  The next morning, I toasted a piece to have with my fried eggs.  YUM!!!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
To see other versions of this recipe, click here.

5 comments:

  1. that looks wonderful! puppy would clearly like a bite, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I wish it were breakfast time right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh. I dabbled in homemade bread, but never rye. Not yet anyway. It's got to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking loaves. It was in 2011 when I made this - I do recall enjoying it very much, especially toasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good.
    I never used to like rye bread until I started making my own - that was what finally turned me on it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin