Friday, March 14, 2014

FFWD: sausage-stuffed cornish hens

OK, another great weeknight dinner from Around My French Table. Thank You Dorie Greenspan!  I wasn't able to complete my recipe for last week, even if it was a non-cook recipe, because I was traveling for work.  However, even if this was a catch-up week and I was super busy, the sausage-stuffed Cornish game hens were a snap to prepare.  The only thing that took a long time was waiting for the birds to defrost.
The recipe required very little prep, chopped onions, garlic and parsley.  I used mild chicken Italian sausage, bought bulk, so I didn't need to deal with the casing.  I didn't have bread for the stuffing, so I used Panko bread crumbs.  After I cooked the stuffing, I put it all in the seasoned and oiled game hens.  Into the 425 degree oven, then I used the side-side-back method for roasting and "viola!". Delicious!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I hope the other Doristas enjoyed this as much as I did!  Click here to find out. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I served my hens with roasted sweet potato and creamed spinach...YUM!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful colors happening there! I do like Dorie's 15x15x10 method of roasting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - this was both easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet potatoes and spinach - always a winner with any poultry pairing.
    Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the different sides that everyone chose…sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine! Your hens look perfectly cooked! Yummy! Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks wonderful together. Great job. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say the same thing as Kathy did about the sides. I enjoyed the stuffing more than the little birds, but you are right that this was delicious. I was surprised to see so many people having to defrost their hens. Maybe that's why I had a hard time finding them and had to go to 3 stores before I found them. I was looking in the fresh meat case, not the frozen section. Anyway, I'm glad you found a new weeknight favorite recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birds look wonderful, and the whole dinner so tasty! I did serve mine with sweet potatoes too (I did a more southern version of the stuffing), but the spinach would have been a perfect addition! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup- this was a keeper for sure. I could literally eat that sausage stuffing right out of the pan, so maybe it has been a good idea that I have only ever enjoyed it when we do it for Thanksgiving. Nah :) I will be doing this more often for sure- esp with the large chicken breasts that a few Doristas tried this with. Less slowing down of eating as we work our way around the bones. Though my younger son and happy taste tester basically made his little hen "finger food". (except for the stuffing....) No pictures of that etiquette breach, but he did enjoy it !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did enjoy this one as much as you did! Great choice of sides!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin