Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Muffin Love

So, I got away from making my weekly muffins, but I'm getting back into it again. I have to admit, when I started working outside of the home again and started thinking of my son moving away for college, I just lost interested in a lot of stuff. Anyway, I still love muffins. I love making new flavors and types. I think every home should smell like muffins. I need to have muffins around again. Muffins, Muffins, Muffins.

The nice thing about muffins is that you don't need a lot of "ingredients" to make them.
We always have bananas, ground flax, and walnuts in the freezer, so...
Banana-Flax-Walnut Whole Wheat Muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c ground flax seeds
1/4 c light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground clove
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c reduced fat milk
3 ripe bananas*, mashed
1/2 c walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift all dry ingredients, excluding the walnuts. Mix wet ingredients, including the bananas

Stir the liquids in the dry ingredients. Fold in the walnuts. If the batter is too dry, add more milk. Pour into 12 paper-lined muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

*I use defrosted frozen bananas. Sometimes I will freeze bananas with their peels on. When I know I will be making something with bananas, I will let them sit overnight to defrost. When the bananas are frozen in the peel, they do not get freezer burned and squeeze right out of their skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin