Friday, February 21, 2014

FFWD: butter and rum crepes, plain and fancy

A good friend of mine gave me a crepe pan as a wedding gift almost 22 years ago.  When I received the gift, I hope I didn't roll my eyes, because I am sure at the time I never thought I'd actually make crepes in that pan.  I have to admit, I have used the pan for pancakes and French toast, but today, finally, CREPES!!!  I have been waiting all week to make Dorie Greenspan's "butter and rum crepes, plain and fancy" from  her cookbook Around My French Table, with the other Doristas.  I have to admit, this recipe is awesome, super easy and delicious.  A hint of lemon and orange in the batter is genius and the citrus honey sauce is light, sweet and silky.  just the perfect combination.  Until now, I have only enjoyed crepes either in French restaurants or in Paris.  I'm not kidding.  I have saved the batter for tomorrow so we can enjoy the crepes again.  To check out other versions of this recipe, click here.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos As a side note, I am still trying to catch up with all the recipes and I made the “Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux” for dinner tonight...Delicious!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

18 comments:

  1. AweSoMe Colors in both your crepes and that chicken!! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure how I managed to instantly go from salivating for your crepes to then wanting the chicken (note that it is breakfast time as I write this :) but I want both !! Looks just wonderful and you had me chuckling at your story about the wedding gift. I think I personally have 3 different types of electric waffle makers and don't want to get rid of any....but can't recall the last time I made waffles. Perhaps they will be on one of the undone recipe pages ??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love, love the colors in your zest photo(s)! Makes my mouth water. Your crepes look delicious too!
    Mine were the opposite, but the citrus vanilla sauce I used was enough to at least make them tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have rolled my eyes at a crepe pan when I got married, because at the time I was not a gourmet, I was a granola… as in crunchy, healthy sometimes tasted good but always good for you cook. Glad to hear that a crepe pan is more versatile than I thought. I don't like unitaskers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you finally were able to use your crepe pan for crepes! Browned to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crepes look great and that chicken is so well done and delicious looking. That is
    one of the recipes that I have to make up and will be doing it soon. Have a happy
    weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracie…both of your dishes look great! Glad you finally got to put your crepe pan to proper use! We loved them in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I am glad that you finally got to use your crepe pan for crepes. I have never made them before either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That crepe pan looks very well loved. I'm glad you enjoyed these. I'm hoping to try them again soon. I need the practice. I can send you my retro crepe recipes. I'm not sure when I'll get around to actually making them so I could post about them. Let me know if you want me to email them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for your crepe pan! Haven't been able to cook with the group for a while but had so much fun making these crepes and joining you guys this week. Learned a lot about how this recipe differs from the crepes I usually make for Blintzes. As always - fun and educational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your crepes came out beautifully - I love the color. I'm jealous of your pan, it looks so well seasoned. The chicken looks perfect too. That's one of my favorite recipes from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very lovely looking crêpes and what a fabulous well-cared for crêpe pan - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crepes and chicken sound like a winner to me! The crepes look delicious.
    (I think I have made that lazy man's chicken more times than any other recipe from the book)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gracie your crepes look perfect! I will continue trying to season my pan I suppose. I am tempted to just go back to my trusty non stick skillet, though. I also loved that chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your crepes look delicious! We loved both the crepes and the chicken, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's worth getting a crepe pan - yours look so beautiful. And that chicken recipe is one of my favourites from the book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin