Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pizza Crave...Tutta Bella

My San Francisco roommate, Paola Paliotti, was from Naples, Italy. She really opened my eyes to food, especially food from Italy. One thing she said to me when I was moving in was, "you'll be a good cook, I'll teach you". Hmmm, what did that mean? The comment came after I proudly placed my cans of Progresso Vegetable Soup and Top Ramen in the kitchen cupboards.

I was a student at San Francisco State University and Paola was a translator. I was broke most of the time, but when I scraped up enough money, Paola & I could be found at either Ciao or Luna Cafe. When we were both low on cash, we would grab a slice at either Viccolo off of Van Ness or Golden Boy Pizza in North Beach. If we weren't in the South-of-Market "CLUB" mood, we'd always end up at Savoy Tivoli. Ah memories...
I have to say, Paola was an outstanding cook. Our best meals were at home. I was usually in charge of the wine (another learning experience!) Currently, Paola is back in Italy and owns Il Bar Sotto il Mare in Sestri Levante, Italy. One day I will visit and eat her fabulous food again.
The Italian food scene is not the same in Seattle. I am not complaining, there are plenty of places for great Italian in Seattle, it's just different. Moving on...when I am craving Neapolitan Pizza, I go to Tutta Bella or Via Tribunali. OK, Tutta Bella wasn't always a chain. Does anyone remember when Tutta Bella opened in Columbia City. Crowded, gave you wine while you waited for your table and YUMMY Neapolitan pizza. Don't get me wrong, I like thick crust pizza too, but I'm not always in the mood for a lot of bread.

Insalate: Pizza Insalata Napoli
Tutta Bella flatbread topped with genoa salami, rire-roasted chicken breast, pancetta, carrots, artichoke hearts, romaine, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, gorgonzola, and a white balsamic vinaigrette.
Great choice for either a starter to share or lighter entree pizza.
Pizze Napoletane: Tutta Bella
Pomodoro San Marzano, Insernio's Italian Sausage, fresh mozzarella, roasted onions, and roasted mushrooms

So good.
All gone...

Do not skip DOLCI!
Carolina's Cornetto: Italian Pizzelle cookie stuffed with a creamy blend of mascarpone, ricotta, pistachio, dried cherry, orange zest and chocolate.
YUMMY!!!


Tutta Bella Neapolitan Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin