Friday, December 25, 2009

Holiday Baking: Gingerbread Cookies

If I saw you today, you got one of these! Oh, the Christmas Tree is not a cookie, it's actually one of my favorite Fitz and Floyd ornaments.

My recipe makes a lot. I make about 20 large cookies and 25 more of several smaller versions. I make a bunch of different cookies and give to everyone on Christmas. I sent the alligators and cocktail cookies to my in laws in Florida to toast the New Year.
Gingerbread Cookies

5 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 large eggs
1 cup unsulfured molasses
Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
In an electric mixer bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
Mix in spices, salt, and pepper, and then eggs and molasses.
Add flour mixture on low speed.
Divide dough into thirds; wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.


When you are ready to bake, heat oven to 350 degrees.
On a floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick.
Cut into shapes.
Transfer to baking sheets lined with silpat or parchment; freeze until firm, 5 minutes.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool on wire racks and decorate.

Snowflakes, Ornaments, and a martini...YUM!
Off to Florida with these gators, to deliver cocktails to my in laws.


My friend, Jin Jin, just picked up a few of these for her and her family.
Aren't they lovely little cookies!!!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin