Sunday, December 27, 2009

Duck, Duck Goose!

It is no secret that I LOVE roast duck from KauKau in Chinatown. I love the flavors that are infused into the meat and I love the skin. I have wanted to cook duck at home for years, but thought the process would be too complicated. I have been reading cookbooks and, since we are in the Christmas season, watching all the cooking shows that focus on Duck.

I saw Alton Brown's version of 'How to cook duck' on his Mighty Duck episode. After reading over his method and actually being able to see the segment twice. I think I can, I think I can, so here we go!! So, quarter, trim fat, brine, steam, sear in oven, done.

Alton Brown, you are a genius! I followed his recipe exactly. The duck was so flavorful, moist...YUM. OK, a lot of steps, so I won't be making this on any other weeknight, but my fear of cooking duck...gone.
After I had already broken down the duck, made the brine, and had the duck quarters happily brining in my refrigerator, there was a lot of excess fatty skin left. So...I rendered the fat, for Liquid Gold and some cracklin's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin