Monday, January 11, 2010

Healthy Stuff: Roasted Butternut Squash

In my never ending attempt to introduce healthy foods to my family, today Butternut Squash. I know I have made this before. I have definitely bought butternut squash, maybe just for a nice centerpiece. Who knows? Anyway I am not a stranger to the beautiful and seductive Butternut Squash. I use to make butternut squash soup back in my catering days...very popular with clients. I also know that in the Fall, if an Italian restaurant has Butternut Squash Raviolis in brown butter, I'm ordering it FOR SURE.

I am quite attracted to the looks of Butternut Squash, kinda looks like a fertility Goddess, right?

OK, here are the important facts...Butternut Squash is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin E, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium and Magnesium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese. I served my Roasted Butternut Squash with a beautiful roasted chicken and steamed asparagus. Everyone Happy!



Roasted Butternut Squash

I large butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. very finely chopped fresh sage
sea salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup pecans, toased and chopped
3 T crumbled feta

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Toss squash cubes with olive oil and sage. Put the squash on a large sheet pan.

Roast until soft, check every 20 minutes and toss, about 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and season with sea salt, and pepper.

Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin