Friday, September 25, 2009

Steak de Burgo: A Great Steak in a flash!

Steak de Burgo, an Iowa favorite
OK, I have never been to Iowa and I had never eaten Steak de Burgo. I signed up to be a home recipe tester for America's Test Kitchen and Steak de Burgo was my first assignment. Exactly, What? Why didn't I get a chic French recipe? Well, I didn't want to be taken off America's Test Kitchen's roster, so Steak de Burgo, here I come!

Voila! To my surprise, Steak de Burgo was delicious. I have to admit, I read the ingredients many times and (yawn) I was not excited. This is the easiest steak preparation ever!
I will make this again, for sure. Easy, Fast, Delicious!
Season the steaks on both sides
YES, wine, heavy cream and butter...the start of a great sauce!

Sear it!


Steak de Burgo
from America's Test Kitchen

Serves 4
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
4 center-cut tenderloin steaks, about 1½ inch thick
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup white wine
2 garlic cloves, halved
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

1. SEAR MEAT Combine dried oregano, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Pat steaks dry with paper towels and season with oregano mixture. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook steaks until well browned and meat registers 125 degrees for medium-rare, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and tent with foil.

2. MAKE SAUCE Pour off excess fat from skillet. Reduce heat to low, add wine and garlic and simmer, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced to about 1 tablespoon, about 1 minute. Whisk in butter, heavy cream, fresh basil, and oregano, and simmer about 1 minute. Return steaks along with any juices to the pan, turning to coat. Serve.
YUM...Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin