Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Brownies: Cakey or Fudgie


Brownies come in all shapes and sizes. A brownie is not cake and it is not fudge, but something in between. I like brownies a bit chewy with an intense bittersweet flavor. However, some days I like brownies cakey but they have to have a solid semi-sweet chocolate frosting. So what am I saying? All brownies are not created equal.

My husband makes a great brownie. He uses the recipe on the Ghirardelli chocolate baking bar for Classic Chocolate Brownies. Semi-sweet chocolate is used in this recipe, so if you love milk chocolate over dark, you'll love this brownie. Perfect texture, chocolaty, and delicious.

When I can find them, I like the Chocolate Chunk Brownie from Dancing Deer Baking Co. This brownie is fudgie in the middle and a little crunchy on top and on the bottom. The shelf life for the Dancing Deer brownies must be long, because I hid some from myself, found them later and still YUM!

Recently, I was introduced to Trixie Bakes brownies. I have mentioned Trixie Bakes before and since they have become a favorite in my house. Creative flavor combinations and Rich with an intense chocolate flavor. Trixie Bakes brownies are more like a "chocolate torte" brownie. Perfect ending to a great meal and espresso or as an anytime treat with a tall glass of milk.

Trixie Bakes: Photo taken by my talented nephew, Zachary.
I recently bought a couple Trixie Bakes brownies from the Madrona Farmer's Market. I bought the Dulce de Lecherous and the Nut-orious. We usually slice little pieces off until they are gone, well...they were gone fast.

Yesterday I decided to make a batch of brownies with my own "no fail" recipe.


My Fudge Brownie

Thisis what you need:
3.5 oz. bittersweet chocolate (78% cacao)
1.5 oz. Ibarra sweetened Mexican Chocolate

1 cup unsalted butter

1.5 cups sugar

1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 lg. eggs, beaten until frothy

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips


Here's what you do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.

Melt chocolate and butter.

Sift sugar and salt, and then add eggs and vanilla.

Blend by hand the chocolate mixture and the sugar-egg mixture.

Add sifted flour, and then fold in walnuts.
Put the mixture in the greased pan and then in the oven for 25 minutes. Take the brownies out and pour the chocolate chips on top evenly. Put back in the oven for 2 minutes. Take the brownies out and spread the chocolate like frosting. Let the brownies cool completely.


Slice and Eat!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin