Thursday, October 29, 2009

ENERGY Bars: Pumpkin Cranberry

ENERGY Bars!
I'm so tired of buying energy bars with a bunch of STUFF in them that I can't pronounce, so I'm making them myself. I found this recipe somewhere, but can't remember where. I might have changed some ingredients, but can't remember. I am trying to make a bar with less sugar, lower in fat, high in protein and fiber.
My husband loved them. He eats them after he swims. My son said, "I don't like this kind". OK, fair. I gave one to my friend Marc, a spin instructor, he said, "You might want to add nuts". I agree. I helped to develop an energy bar for a company I use to work for, so I can't share that recipe, but it had a lot of nuts, honey, and dried fruits, the only thing is, HIGH IN FAT. Anyway, this is a good recipe, but I am going to try peanut butter and chocolate chip next time.

Pumpkin Cranberry Energy Bars

Ingredients:
28 grams of protein powder
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 1/2 cups of old fashion oats
1/4 cup Craisins


Preheat oven to 350.


Grease and line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix together the protein powder, pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, spices, brown sugar with a mixer. mix until smooth. Chop the Craisins and add to the mix. Then stir in the oats.


Press the mixture evenly into the 9×9 pan and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the pan right away and cut into 9 squares. It’s much easier to cut these when warm.

Store in the fridge.


If you know of any awesome recipes for Energy Bars, please send them my way!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!! Laurie's sister here...wow Gracie, these look great, but when you say half a can of pumpkin, is that a big can (29 oz.)or a little can? It would make a big difference! I would love to try these, so I want to make sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie! Thanks for checking out my blog. Only use the big can if you have other pumpkin projects. This recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin.

    I hope you like them!
    thx!
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin