Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mini Pumpkin Muffins


Pumpkins, pumpkins, Everywhere! I love this time of year when there's a chill in the air and the pumpkins are back!!! I love pumpkin pie, but I try not to eat it until Thanksgiving, then I don't stop eating pumpkin pies until the new year. Today felt like a Mini Pumpkin Muffin day!!! YUM.

I use canned pumpkins when fresh pumpkins are not available. Baking the halved pumpkins works best for me. I've tried peeling and then cutting the pumpkins into cubes, not easy, then steaming, but the pumpkin comes out too watery. Perfect for baby food! Anyway pick a medium sized Sugar Pumpkin and pick the heaviest one. Cut in half, take all the seeds and stringy stuff out, put it cut sized down on a lightly oiled sheet pan and put in a 350 degree oven. Bake for about 1 hour or until a fork can go into the flesh easily.

mmmmm...YUM!



Mini Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
3 cups pastry flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 T wheat germ
1 cup raisins, sweetened dried cranberries, or chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
2 large eggs
15 oz. cooked and pureed sugar pumpkin
powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:
COMBINE the first 8 ingredients in large bowl.
POUR muffin mix into large bowl. Add 1/2 cup canola oil with pastry blender until mixture is fine. Add 1 cup LIBBY'S 100% PURE PUMPKIN, 1 cup milk and 2 large eggs; mix until just moistened.
SPOON into greased or paper-lined mini-muffin pans, filling 2/3 full.
BAKE in preheated 400ºF oven for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes about 60 mini muffins.


A couple years ago, when I was the Programs Director at the Seattle Athletic Club, the staff dressed up for Halloween. Kinda hard for the trainers, but I thought wearing costumes was FUN. Here I am as the Pumpkin Witch...BOO!

2 comments:

  1. You're right, it's about that time of year when pumpkins are everywhere you look. I just bought 2 today. There are so many recipes where you can use pumpkin. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin anything! Those muffins look so cute :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin