Wednesday, November 4, 2009

STOP buying Gravlax!!!

There is not a lack of good gravlax here in Seattle, Salmon Central, but I have to say, my homemade version is pretty damn good. I was quite happy with the gravlax available at the grocery store, even Costco, but when I found out how easy it was to make myself, I stopped eating the "store bought" version.

OK, I was a little freaked out making gravlax because the fish is never really cooked. Well, I thought, I eat salmon sushi and make my own Lomi-Lomi Salmon, so what's the harm.

**If you're not daring enough to try this, I don't blame you, it weirds me out sometimes. For the record, I have been making my own salmon gravlax since January and I am still alive.

My recipe is partly from a Narsai David clipping, from my San Francisco days, the addition of Cognac was thanks to Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home.




Homemade Gravlax

Take a 2# salmon fillet with skin, sushi grade, preferably fatty and pat dry.
Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of Cognac evenly on the fish.

Mix 1 cup sugar and 3/4 cup salt and 1 tsp freshly ground pepper and then cover the fish with dry mix.

Take 1 bunch fresh dill and lay on top of fish, flesh side.

Wrap the fish tightly with plastic wrap, lay in a shallow container and lay a wrapped brick, can, or something heavy, on top. Put the fish in the fridge and leave it a lone for 48 hours. OK, when you go back to check on the fish, there will be liquid that you can dump. Pat the fish dry and remove any remaining seasoning and dill. If you did not use sushi grade salmon, you should probably freeze the fish overnight before eating, other wise, Slice and eat.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin